Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Goodbyes and Thank Yous

This week is a special week for two of our United Way VISTAs. After a year of service, Raquel and Mellie will be leaving us on Friday, February 27. We will miss them and we are grateful for all that they have done here at United Way! I asked Raquel and Mellie to share some reflections of their time as a VISTA.

I'll share what Mellie wrote and later this week, I'll add Raquel's reflection.

Mellie's thoughts...

Working at United Way has been great. I have always been one to get involved with the community through the school system, 4H, Scouts, Red Cross, or random acts of kindness as I was aware of another’s needs but working here opened my eyes to an entire system of organized volunteerism.

I am totally amazed at the people who are willing to give time, money, and service for total strangers when they themselves have needs. In fact, sometimes it seemed that the greater the personal needs of the volunteer the greater their desire to serve. On my second day here, my eyes shining in anticipation, I told my supervisor I wanted to know all about each of the different agencies. I have not reached that goal but I have learned more about quite a few of them.

Perhaps the thing that has impressed me the most is the dedication of the people involved with the United Way. Not just the old timers, (none of whom are as old as I am), but the young people who are here for short periods are remarkable. It has been a beautiful thing to hear supervisors say, here is what need to happen. I leave it to you to develop a plan to accomplish that. What a great working environment.

Highlights for me were finding out that I was one of only a few oranges who work here. I was married for 43 years to a green and I know I was a blue back then, but single I am apparently an orange. Who would have thought? The training for Volunteer Solutions was the second most exciting part of my year. I loved my moment in the spotlight. O I am so orange.

The greater question is did I make a difference?


Thanks for sharing, Mellie! And we all know that you made a difference. Reading this made me reflect on my VISTA experience here at United Way. I hope that we all feel that we are making a difference and are having the experiences that Mellie has had.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

You've made a difference Mellie! Thanks for all of your work!