Thursday, April 8, 2010

VISTA of the Year and Conference on Service

This week I was able to attend the Conference on Service in Salt Lake. This was a great chance for me to be inspired by other VISTAs and by engaged citizens. I also learned a bunch to help improve my project and my experience here at United Way.

Tuesday was mostly for Americorps members. When we arrived at the conference we were overwhelmed by a sea of yellow polos. Later, we found out that all Americorps members had received these yellow polos and had decided to wear them to the conference. I felt quite left out, but I guess VISTAs don't get to have yellow polos. The day was filled with uplifting speeches and then informative breakouts. If you want to know more about what we actually learned. I'd be happy to share with you. (there are too many notes for me to share on a blog post)

Yesterday was also a informative day full of breakout sessions on a myriad of topics from how to engage baby boomers to stress relieving techniques.

The real highlight of the experience was the banquet on Tuesday night. Senator Orrin Hatch spoke to us and then awards were presented. We were so happy to have one of our own, Brian Wayment win VISTA of the year.

Brian with the Senator

No acceptance speech was given (though we would have liked it), but Brian was honored in front of a large crowd and some kind words were read about him as he accepted his award. He also got to pose for some photo ops with the Senator and the Lt. Governor.

We are proud of Brian and all of the VISTAs!

No comments: