Thursday, May 15, 2008

Just a little about my AmeriCorps position...

My name is Jana and I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA who is working on Community Education Coordination and Outreach in Utah County. It's a bit difficult to explain all that I do in a blog entry, but basically the goal of my project is to help the low-income and Spanish-speaking populations of Utah County find the educational resources available in the community that will help them succeed. One of the great things about my position is that I've had the opportunity to meet amazing people from throughout the community: members of the Festival Latinoamericano Planning Committee such as Joan Dixon and Norma Juarez, members of the Provo City Gang Project Steering Committee such as Noela Karza and Rina Giron, Yvonne Keetch from the Provo City Library, Teresa Tavares from Centro Hispano, outstanding faculty and staff from UVU and BYU, and so on. I love meeting and interacting with so many individuals who are passionate about improving the lives of all members of the local community -- including immigrants, people with disabilities, troubled youth, victims of domestic violence, etc.

No comments: